Sunday, October 21, 2007

New Orleans Steamboat Cruise....

This is me in June 2007 on the mighty Mississippi River. Note the 'West Georgia Mom' t-shirt. Took a road trip with my 20 year-old daughter to spend 4 days in New Orleans. We had a great time and sampled many of the culinary delights the city has to offer (not to mention the drinks!). Post-Katrina, the city still looks like a war zone in some areas. The bayous have houses on stilts that display the marks of the rescue teams to indicate the date, the rescue team, the number of bodies and the date the bodies were removed...sometime much later. Very sobering to see. On a lighter note, the French Quarter was remarkably spared the worst of Katrina in terms of physical damage. However, the damage is there nonetheless. Gone are many of the original businesses and/or their original owners. My daughter (who is too young to remember The Quarter pre-Katrina) was ecstatic just to be there. First stop to eat: Acme Oyster House. Undeniably, the best oyster bar with the freshest oysters. My daughter and I are purists when it comes to raw oysters...Tobasco and fresh lemon juice...incredible!

2 comments:

Rafiki said...

I look forward to many more great recipes. A friend of yours sent me this link. I have got to get cooking!

Linda said...

Thanks for the support, Alisa! When all else fails, I cook and cook and cook!